Thursday, March 12, 2015

Hmmm, I guess that's a lot of clothes.

I do like minimalism. I think it's great, and when things are uncluttered more can be done. During 2009-2012 I took my decluttering mindset very seriously.

For months I would take out a bag of garbage/donations weekly. Many of these accumulated as college students and I shared a flat. When one of four moves out, you can't always remember who bought the can opener, or some of there were just lazy and left lots of stuff behind. One day I made it my goal to rid myself of these extra things.

I took it further later, and at one point had my closet down to just a few essentials. I knew I still had too much, but everything in my house had a place. If it didn't, it was removed. If I wanted/needed it to stay it found a place. From the extra storage for bulk food from costco, to a place for my lunch bag, from alphabetized books to a leash hook everything had a spot. This made cleaning much easier (I knew where to put everything!) and there was always the space to work/study/play.

Fast-forward to my last closet purge when I finally believed the weight I had lost was going to be forever gone. All my "fat" clothes were going to go, and although I had been removing clothes I no longer fancied, this was going to be the final call leaving only nice clothes (in three main categories: work, relaxation/evenings, exercise) that I felt great in. What was left was all going to go into the donation bin.


And then I got pregnant. Unexpectedly.

And then I would some times shop to feel better.

And I was told where I was shopping had resale value, so buy more now and sell it later.

And then I had the baby, and four months later my "fat" clothes which hadn't made it to the donation bin didn't fit. Too tight.

And then I moved.

And then more life happened.

And now, here I am a second baby later after having these clothes in storage or piles for over two years. The first year was because I needed a place. The second year was because of the renovation (which should be halted for the summer, I hope). I don't fit in most of them. But I sure am hoping I will...

Let's see the numbers

Headbands - 56 small, 48 large
Hats - 12
Scarfs - 24
Belts - 7 (only one fits today)
Legwarmers - 5

Sweaters/Hoodies 4/8
Bras - 87
Bra tanks - 73
Tanks - 104
SS shirts - 99
LS shirts - 51
Shorts - 63
Skirts - 17
Crops - 32
Pants - 62

Button-up shirts - 6
Other LS shirts - 33
Dresses - 15
Suits - 1
Shirts - 6
Polos - 1
Formal skirts - 2
Vests - 1

Total items of clothes - 588
including accessories - 1802



That's right. I have more clothes than Blonde on a Budget has total items in her house.  (Love her!)

I know it's too much, but I get so attached. And I feel like I'm just breaking these guys out of boxes after years. But I'm also mad at myself of letting my spending get so out of control when I used it as a coping mechanism. I want to forgive myself for getting caught up in the hype of upload day, but I still feel a lingering I need to punish myself. I hate, hate, hate selling them. I have, and that's how I was able to pay off the balance transfer on my credit card. The hubs and I debate on this topic often. If I should sell, how much I should sell, how long do I wait to lose the wait. I'm much more impatient than him. I want it to be settled now. Not wait until I lose the last 40 pounds.

It would be so nice to get back to a place that is clean, and tidy. With items that add value, make me feel good. I want to be out of debt. I want to be saving.

So to repeat what my goals have been this year and last. I am going to reduce my closet, suck it up and sell some stuff now, and re-address in six months. And mostly, keep me focused on the long goal. Happiness. Health. Security. Well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment