Sunday, March 15, 2015

Dark Matter samples - a quick review

I can't remember where I first heard of Dark Matter, but I am (fairly) sure they are new. I think I actually meant to order from Life's Entropy but user error combined with store closures led to me thinking Life's Entropy moved to Esty, hence explaining the total layout change and why I couldn't find the products I was looking for. Whoops. Life's Entropy will be back up at the end of the month, meanwhile Dark Matter has just released another wave of eyeshadows (the women of science) and a new white based sticky primer.

Here is my sample order from Dark Matter. Samples are about $2.00 Canadian, shipping was reasonable, and communication with the store owner was excellent. She even contacted me to say she wouldn't be able to get the order in the mail until the next day, as she was ill. I ordered on a Sunday (or even Saturday night). Totally above and beyond any expectations! 

Oh, she also sent some Candy! :D

So cute!



I picked out 12 sample sizes which came in conical tubes. I'm sure at some point during my undergrad my friends and I had the same idea. For getting shadow out, I did find (and you'll see in my swatches) it's a bit easier to flip the tube before opening and nabbing the remainder left at the top. I'm a bit... picky with my labeling so the way the tags just stick out on these irks me. ;)



Yey! Candy, personalized note, and sample! Some nice looking business cards, Dom!



Clearly, my first attempt was too much and then I just starting playing around. Left to right: Pavous, Proxima, Ursa Major, Acrux, Cassiopeia, Triton, Cor serpentis, Libra, Scorpio.



In the sun: Left to right: Pavous, Proxima, Ursa Major, Acrux, Cassiopeia, Triton, Cor serpentis, Libra, Scorpio.


Out of focus in the sun: Left to right: Pavous, Proxima, Ursa Major, Acrux, Cassiopeia, Triton, Cor serpentis, Libra, Scorpio.




Wow! Holy transfer of pigment, Batman! FWIW, I didn't use a primer for these "opening the package of pretties!" swatches. 





The last four: Galileo, Ariel, Cancer and Ellen (from the women of science).


Out of focus to show sparkle.

I'd really like to try these with the Gravity sticky base, and I will be trying them this week using Glitter Glue so see how they stay. Some of these shades are so pigmented, they might stain so I'll be looking to see if a primer helps prevent that. Before I actually got these, I ordered a couple full-size (about $10 Canadian) in Scorpio and Cassiopeia. The latter was a win! I think I might also like a full size of Libra. And maybe the COTM, PI.E.

That's my brief introduction Dark Matter and Dom. Let me know if you've tried them. I've also read the conical tubes bothered some people, were you one? I thought they were cute, and actually not impractical to use for a shadow sample. I'll when I have time to repeat these using primer/glitter glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment