Monday, July 14, 2014

Temptations

My biggest temptations loves include Lululemon and Starbucks. I've done really well at slowly over several years allowing the Starbucks demon to rest. For the past 8 months, I've allowed myself a gift card on which I put money, and once or twice a month when the time is right, I can do. It's guilt-free as it doesn't affect my budget at all. Oh, having high blood pressure, then being pregnant, and then breastfeeding have gone futher to silence my Starbucks consumption than my budget ;)

Now for Lululemon. I have done great this year! Since Late February (but it's felt like much longer) I've only made (and kept) a few purchases including a summer dress, two bigger bras and a bigger tank. I've also sold over 200 of my old Lululemon items. I've decided that when my need to purchase over comes me like it did earlier this week, and thank goodness I'm awesome and fought it, I should put that money on my smaller student loan. I really want to be rid of that guy soon. So, like this week, I did something somewhat dumb - I was going to buy the clothes using my line of credit. Instead I've taken that amount and put it on my loan. I hate paying debt with debt (as I fell into that habit so easily last year and thought I was getting ahead but was actually falling behind) but it's much better than buying stuff with debt? ... Right?... right?...

I had the same experience with Julep - check out my side bar link ;) - with the announcement of the truth or dare boxes. I love the foot cream from them, but I just finished my Avon bottle, and opened that one. I needed to talk myself out of getting a second months before I needed it (assuming the kidlet doesn't use it all up in her hair). And a very pretty duo of nail colours. For these two items, I have also put a payment on my loan.


T&D Mystery Box—with Mint Condition Pedi Crème


I hope seeing the physical, numerical? loss of money from my account will help me prioritize where I am putting my money, and keep me on track to debt repayment and reasonable living. I'm planning I will only need to do this one more time to get the message, because I need lots of my money for my basic expenses! I think this plan will work when the stranger test has failed.

How do you stay strong? Have you had any crazy plans to spend your money on debt/savings before you can frivolously spend it?

No comments:

Post a Comment