Monday, June 30, 2014

Christmas Budgeting

My budgets are pretty tight as I've set some goals for debt payment and I want to get my savings to $1000 and my EF to $750 before October. One of these accounts is at $0, the other at a very modest $200.

Why have I set October as my deadline?

I'm due to have a baby sometime that month. And while I live in a country that amazing provides unemployment during most of the first year, I still have to prepare for it. As with all EI claims, there is a two week waiting period. There is also an estimated one month processing time. I believe payment also occurs two weeks after the time on EI. i.e. if you started EI on the 15th of a month, the end of that month would be your two week no-payment waiting periods. Then you serve the first weeks you could receive EI payment. I believe the EI office then processes your claim, and you get paid two weeks later, or the end of the month after you first started your EI claim. Meaning for me, if the baby comes near the end of October, or even early November, I might not receive any EI until mid-December. I'm hoping I'll have enough to pay my minimums, I know I'll be running more calculations closer to the date, but most of that pay will be allocated to bills. Not Christmas.

I've always been big on buying Christmas presents early, usually starting in the fall. This helps out spread out the budget, and allow for the ton of unexpected expenses that always occur. This year, I think I'll have to find a way to squeeze all my Christmas shopping in before October. I'll have to revisit the budget I posted, and see if I can find another $20-50 a month to put towards my most important people. I'm sure those who love me will understand. I hope it doesn't come to that ;) I also wanted to go on a short vacation in August that I haven't decided how to fund, or if I can go.

I guess it's a good thing I won't be working in December as I think that understandably cuts about a dozen out of my "must buy for" list.

How do you budget for Christmas (or other holiday events) through the year? w much do you spend on gifts each year?

No comments:

Post a Comment