Thursday, February 5, 2015

Shopping Ban February Update

I've mentioned this before, and I've drafted a few posts. I think it's time I make it an official "shopping ban". It is essentially like how I've lived (or some days tried to live) and what I've budgeted for. I've come to realize I'm from a long line of hoarders, and I've come to the point where I want to start to embrace minimalism again. I can't control too much of what the two young kids have, but I can control my possessions. The amount I have wasn't a problem when I both lived by myself and had the dispoable income to purchase AND save AND own a home AND pay down my students loans in a time-frame I was comfortable with.

I've done amazing at paying down my debt. I'm still under half-way to debt-free based on my peak point last March. I think I can do better - well, better for being on maternity leave (which my disposable income will probably decrease upon returning to work as childcare costs will increase). I think I also need to drive some points home to me. Most importantly:

I shop when I am stressed. 

I shop as motivation.

I shop to feel good about myself.

I shop when I feel I've made a mistake.

I plan on counting my clothes, as I have too many. I was on my way to paring it my wardrobe down to (my) bare minimum when I unexpectedly became pregnant. The four very full garbage bags of clothes I had removed from my closet, many too big, never made it to the donation bin. After the baby was born these "too large" clothes were too small. I moved most of my stuff into storage, I lost the weight, I became pregnant again. My "too large" clothes don't fit. I've acquired clothes along the way.

In short, I have lots of clothes, and I don't know how and when they will fit.

I can't tackle this problem overnight, I love so many of my clothes, and I don't want get rid of something before I'm ready. In the past 12 months I sold over $5000 of my clothes to pay off debt, and I'm absolutely honest and crazy that I miss many of them. But I am going to start at step 1.

A six month shopping ban. 

I've decided from February 1st to July 31st, I will not buy any clothes with the following exceptions:
1. Clothes for my toddler for her birthday (and again around the fall)
2. Dresses for the girls if our wedding happens in the next six months
3. I have some weight loss goals tied to clothes. i.e. when I hit and maintain a weight I can buy this item.
4. If I start a new job, and require an updated professional wardrobe.

I do want to extent this official shopping ban to other areas (which I'm observing my behavior to see which areas I have not cut in the past four years). But for clothing (and really one store in particular) I've done amazing at staying on or under budget.

However.. the announcement of my engagement, setting a date with the husband equivalent, finding and placing a down-payment on dress, the husband equivalent realizing weddings cost money and the places/dates he wants are booked, the wedding date revoked, and my shopping because I felt silly for buying a dress (and jewelry to match) has shown me what I was afraid of.

Once I open the purse strings, a flood of spending occurs.

I want to try six months free to understand myself and my desires more. I'm five days in and it's been hard. I've done it. And, now internets, you know I'm trying it. I can't tell you why it's so hard. yet.

I'm still going to post subscription box reviews as long as I receive them and see value in them. There will be many, many boxes I want to buy that I will pass on. I am still going to post about my debt. I think this helps keep me accountable, and helps me work through my emotions. I'm still going to post random thoughts. Hopefully, I'll be posting more about my running.

To up the ante on this ban, and to make it different than my usual struggling to not spend/stay on budget, I've decided for now until the end of March I am going to put $20 a week in a savings account. I'm going to add what I make from cleaning out my closet and selling items on eBay in this account. I want to see the number. I've already spoken with my partner, and he is okay that I keep this separate, and that I don't plan on using it for debt repayment, or wedding costs. I think I need to see the number. I'm also so sick of selling my things on ebay I want to be done with a mass reduction before I return to work.

Five days and no purchases. Not even those cute boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment