Monday, September 15, 2014

August goal updates

I was worried that I was going to go off the spending deep end in August. I had a bunch of factors that usually lead to emotional spending and I was planning a vacation to the center of my biggest spending temptation - Lululemon. More on Seawheeze 2014 and beautiful British Columbia later!



From my last goal post: 

August:
1. Pay off smaller student loan - Done! I have posted my "your loan is now paid in full" letter on my fridge for inspiration. 
2. Bring savings to $1000 - I can't believe but knew I had to do this before I left on vacation. I did dip into this the second week in September, but I've since been able to top it up.
3. Find $500 for vacation - Yup! I even stuck to my total budget of under $1000. Amazing (and probably less than it would be if I wasn't pregnant and knew what size would fit but still a win).
4. List a few more eBay items to achieve above goals then take a break - Currently on a break from ebay and feeling overly guilty about it.
5. Go on vacation! De-stress! - Loved it! 


September:
1. EF to $750 - yup!
2. Pay back $1000-$2000 on line of credit -... I don't think I'll be able to do this due to health circumstances
3. Feel prepared for maternity leave - ... not yet. 
4. Set up baby's room, see if any needs are missing - this week's goal.
5. Save up for daycare costs in case the baby arrives early - :/ 
6. Keep emotional/impulse shopping in check - I'm trying really really hard on this. 

I'm very happy to have the $1000 in my emergency fund now. It seems to be helping to keep me focused on make smart financial decisions, and to stall my emotional "what's the point, I can't afford anything anyway" shopping. Or I could be starting to be terrified the baby is almost here! As such, I'll have to wait until I start getting EI to make my budgets. I'm hoping to be able to clear my line of credit ($10,000) in the next year, and I want to start doubling some of my other debt payments. I'll also have to make it through a few gauntlets of expensive baby purchases. 

How was your August? How does your September look? Have you ever had to budget for a time where your pay was uncertain?.... Although most bloggers are free-lancers and that must be what they (and now me too) do every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment