Monday, January 12, 2015

2015 goals - Part 1

I had written these down on a sticky note that my toddler took away and hid. I've been thinking about these goals since, well, mid last year so I should have them down pat. Side note, it's nice to be over the flu. *fingers crossed*

1. Pay off student loan. $11,000 to go. I'm hoping to put $1050 on this monthly (over half my current pay) and my tax refund.
2. Pay $5000 back on my personal loan.
3. Have $6000 ready to pay back my pension.
4. Put $800 in my GIC RRSP, $600 in my mutual fund RRSP
5. Contribute to my emergency fund. Not sure of target numbers yet.

I've got a couple of personal goals - mostly running
1. Run a 10 km in May
2. Run a half marathon in August
3. I want to lose 30 more lbs by October
4. Decide if we will have baby #3 or not

I want to set work goals but I'm not sure. I don't know *if* I'll have a job soon (HR says I will - but I've learned to no trust HR) and I don't know if I want return. I don't know if I want to look for a job prior to. I don't know if I want to continue trying to get into a new field like I was. I'm full of the "I don't know" and I'm sure baby-brain does not help. I have some part-time jobs I want to apply for but the cost of childcare may make these meaningless. I have some additional ideas once I have a direction set.

Back to the financial. My focus is or at least was going to be goal #1 - results in my student loans being destroyed. I know these are "good debt" but I'm just getting sick of carrying them around, and I don't think the very minor tax credit I receive on the interest portion is worth the icky feeling they coat my soul in. I'm hoping to put $1050 on this monthly (over half my current pay) and my tax refund. However, my husband equivalent has thrown us a challenge. We're engaged! Now that I'm a bit over just being annoyed he wants to side track me from these goals, I've been planning a shopping ban and selling spree (I have the draft posts to prove this) and I'm so worried once the spending doors open, there will be no way to shut them. Our primarily budget is $5000 which partially adds to my "why didn't we just go to the courthouse and get it done there prior to our baby being born" frustration. I was very clear I wanted this, but relationships involve some compromise, and I guess he just had to do it this way. Despite all this, I am starting to get excited.  I have no idea what this is going to do to these goals, but I'm going to leave January for tracking spending after the birth of the second baby, and February to analysis the results and.. build a wedding budget after we set a date? Or do you book a place first? Or find the person who will complete it?

What are your goals? Has life already thrown you some curve balls? Did you forget to post your yearly goal recap before posting your new goals too?

No comments:

Post a Comment