Wednesday, August 13, 2014

When I splurge as a mom

I'm constantly running numbers in my head of how much my debt is, and when can I make my next payment. I've re-written how I am going to allocate my next paycheck every day this week to try to accommodate more savings, another debt payment, or that my phone bill was $20 over what I expected (and yes, I just don't have the disposable income to just pay it). But, there are some ways that I find I just can't don't want to cut.

1. Mid-range to expensive diapers. Cheap diapers, especially no-name, give my daughter rashes. Two years later, she still gets rashes from the cheaper diapers. It's not worth it to me to irritate her skin. I'm not buying specialty, but I am buying the middle price range brand name diapers.

2. Healthy food. This one usually messes with my head as my grocery budget seems to be one of the last areas I can cut. I have reduced this by simply going to the store less often (and I feel so guilty!) When I do go, I buy fresh produce, usually on sale. If there is something healthy my daughter wants, I'll usually get it for her. It doesn't seem right to fight with her over a good decision when I should be supporting her, and keeping my debt problems mine.

3. Child care. Again, I don't go overboard, and I have declined a very fancy daycare in the $1500+ range, but I am willing to pay for quality. My $1000/month daycare works out to be ~$225 a week. Very cost-effective for looking after the most precious thing in my life.

4. Clothes. About twice a year (and it soon will be less as her growth slows down) I stock up one clothes at sale prices online. I've been very lucky to get lots of hand-me-downs which has kept this number low, and I have a few good friends who buy my daughter wonderful, quality clothes. I like feeling like I can provide for her during those $100-$200 splurge purchases. And, baby socks disappear as fast as adult socks!

5. Park/activity passes. These have paid for themselves over and over. I love having a place to take her in the winter that isn't a mall. When she was a few months old, and it was too cold to be outside we would wander the malls. Even if I splurged once a week, a $4 cinnamon bun will add up. The park has been spendy lately with the ice cream trucks, but it's so much better for my budget (and controlling my wants) then wandering in a mall. Another bonus, I don't have to ignore shopping demons and instead focus on my daughter and making her laugh!

It's true all these decisions could add to money to pay down my debt faster, but an extra $5 on diapers, $10 on my grocery bill, $100 on safe, certified childcare, $40 on clothes and $45 on entertainment are well worth the small annual cost for the daily benefit in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment